Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Dumb Blonde's DIY


You may not like it, but I'm really proud of this.
Sometimes I overestimate my abilities, and making this spooky "diy" was one of those times. Honestly, for anyone else, this would probably be ridiculously easy. I however, spent about three hours on it.

Keeping with the Halloween theme I seem to have this month, I decided to make this spooky craft. I'm no fan of spiders, but I couldn't resist the chance to use those beautiful wooden frames found at Michaels. Not to mention, I had a coupon, and most of the supplies already at home. This is right around where I would tell you how long it takes to make this craft, but I seem to be incompetent with spray paint, and many other things, so my estimate would be inaccurate.

Anyways, the first thing you need is supplies. You will need, some sort of frame, spray paint (or paint), white yarn, and whatever other decorations you want (I used spider stickers). One thing I failed to remember is that a hot glue gun is extremely useful for this project. I managed without one, but you would be better off just buying one (they're pretty cheap anyways). I had most of the supplies at my house, but I couldn't pass up a chance to go to Michaels. If you also plan on going to Michaels, use the link for coupons.

To begin, paint or spray paint your frame. If you spray paint it like I did, here are some tips that I learned while being dumb blonde. This was my first time using spray paint on my own, so try not to judge me. Things I didn't do, but you should: shake the can before use, make sure you know which way to point the nozzle each time you pick it up, spray at an angle, and let it dry before flipping it to the other side. I'm glad my mistakes can not only prevent your own, but also entertain you.
This is how a professional works.

When it's dry, glue a total of four pieces of yarn from the middle of each side, and each corner like you were drawing a snowflake or star. Next, create a spider web pattern (I made a spiral) with another
piece of yarn, gluing it where it needs to be strengthened. As you might remember, I don't own a hot glue gun, so after many failures, I was able to secure the yarn with a mixture of staples and mod podge (I don't recommend it).

Now you are free to decorate it however you want! Comment how making this turned out for you, and vote on the new poll. Tell me whether my next "do it yourself" project (when I decide to make it) should be with food, or another craft.

1 comment:

  1. I would probably take 5 hours to make this. I'm SO not creative. You should visit my blog at: http://kvanmaren18pc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete