Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mark the Date

Image courtesy of OpenCareer
Get out your pens, pencils, and other writing utensils! Today is the day we laugh in the face of fear! No longer will we worry, and wonder in anticipation of an audition, performance, or test. From now on, we will walk with a confidence, and certainty that will make the teachers ask you for a grade, interviewers will ask you for a job, and parents will ask for your permission to leave the dinner table!

So maybe I was a little bit too enthusiastic, but who can blame me? As teenagers, our lives are riddled with unnecessary anxiety. Not doing well at events like sports games, tests, or auditions may not be the end of the world, but as teenagers, they are still and important part of our lives. Everyone works, learns, and feels in different ways, but this is how I go into a potentially stressful situation.

A small warning, this post isn't about how I prepare beforehand. You can use this advice if you have studied and practiced for hours, or if you walk in completely unprepared.

 First, when I am dreading the event to come, I try to remind myself that just as sure as it is going to begin, it is going to end. At this point, there is nothing more you can do to change what is going to happen. You will get through it, I promise.

Next, in a lot of situations, especially tests, people around you will be in a nervous and talkative frenzy. They will share information all about the hours they spent preparing, and how they still feel unprepared.. Try not to participate in this. I know it can be hard not to get caught up in all the sharing, but most of the time you will begin in an even more nervous state than when you first walked in. Try listening to music, or reading a book instead. I don't suggest studying, sometimes when you have spent a lot of time preparing for a test, the best thing to do is relax, and trust yourself. A last minute cram session isn't going to do very much good.

Last, when you are anxious and on edge, you might rush through what you are doing, and make silly mistakes. You will only make things harder for yourself if you don't have a clear and calm head. Freaking out isn't going to help solve your problems, and people are more willing to help out someone who isn't screaming, moaning, or acting generally insane. When I want to calm myself down I just pretend that it's no big deal, and that everything is okay. You don't have to believe it, but sometimes just acting cool and collected can help. This trick helps me when I forget something important, when I make a big mistake, or even when I'm just generally flustered.

I hope this helped you, make sure to suggest and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment