Thursday, December 4, 2014

Two Points of View




Image courtesy of Twitter.

One thing that I have always found helpful in my life is changing my point of view. Seeing the "bright side" of a situation can change everything, but more than that, seeing the argument from the other side is extremely important. I have always prided myself in seeing from multiple perspectives, and now we are going to talk about that.

First, a little bit of back story to help you understand what I am talking about. Last year in my social studies class, we were waiting for class to start and had randomly started talking about marriage equality. The general theme of the conversation was that it was wrong to keep marriage just between a man and a woman. While I strongly agree with this, I also wanted to add more to the conversation. I suggested that we also see this argument from the side of those who oppose gay marriage. After all, if we want others to acknowledge our point of view, we need to offer them the same courtesy. I immediately regretted this sentence. Some my classmates started attacking me with their opinions (that I didn't disagree with), and calling me homophobic. While never stated that I agreed with those who opposed gay marriage, just recognizing their feelings and opinions made me a target.

Not to be rude, but what those classmates did was wrong in so many ways. In my own opinion, gay marriage should allowed mainly because we are all allowed to have our own beliefs. If we blatantly tell those who are against gay marriage that they are wrong, and can't have their own point of view, we give them the right to do the same. It is not about deciding what is right for everyone, but being given the right to decide for ourselves. We may never be rid of homophobia, but maybe everyone will begin to realize that we all have the right to our own principles.

If you give the other side of the argument some thought, you can better understand those who believe that. Creating peace isn't about agreeing with people, but understanding them. Spending time in a different way of thinking can only add to your personality, and intellectual depth. Now I understand that it was a good thing to have that experience in my social studies class. From it I was able to get a better outlook, and a way to hopefully help others gain the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment